Welcome to the Screaming!

Hi! If you've seen my blog Neko to Meoto, about the years we lived in Tokyo, some of the earlier posts might look familiar.

This blog will be devoted to making things. I've always loved Halloween, but it wasn't until the last few years that I've gotten more serious about making costumes and learning new techniques to do it. Every time I make a costume, I learn something new РI'd forgotten how much fun paper mach̩ is, the sewing machine isn't as terrifying as I thought, craft foam sheets and cardboard are more versatile than I'd given given them credit for, and painting depth and battle damage is one of my favorite things.

For some cosplayers it's all about becoming a character. For me, it's about creating something and wearing it out for a night or two (three, if Halloween is on a Saturday) to show off what I've done.

I've come to the realization that costumes are more fun when you aren't one of a hundred of the same thing that year, but people still recognize it. It's a tough balance to find.

I'm a graphic designer, so I'm artsy, but I'm not a professional seamstress, sculptor, puppet maker, or FX makeup artist. What I do isn't movie-perfect, but it looks pretty good from a distance.

There's a lot of planning and a lot of trial and error as I slowly figure out what I'm doing. It usually turns out all right in the end, but sometimes I might find myself covered in glitter and screaming.

(Shout out to James for the name!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stencil and Hand Painted Sign

Waterfall Cards

Holiday Cards: Kokeshi