Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Hawkman and Hawkgirl

The Halloween Plan in 2011 was to dress up as the Justice League, Husband and I were Hawkman and Hawkgirl.

Pardon the crappy photo, it's the only one we have full length and just the two of us.

The Hawkman helmet was probably the single most successful costume piece I made this year. I used a store-bought mask and a stuffed plastic bag for the shape of the face and size of Husband's head, then layered on cardboard and paper maché until it got to be the right shape. There are some bits of foam filler in the eyebrows and cheekbones for articulation.



The Hawkgirl helmet followed the same process as the Hawkman helmet.

It was early enough in my serious costume experience that I didn't think to make a mold of Husband's torso out of duct tape, but that's what I would do for any future breastplates.

We covered his torso in a plastic bag and I covered that with paper maché. Then more paper mache, including a paste made of flour, water, and tissue paper mixed with a home improvement putty for sculpting. Then paint and a logo, details in duct tape.

Bracers were made from vinyl sheets cut to the right size with rivets and laces added, edged in duct tape. Maces are styrofoam cones on balls with wooden dowels for handles.

Hawkman's wings were a more convoluted process that I neglected to document, but it was essentially felt wing shapes over dowels, shoved in umbrella carrying cases, worn like a backpack. This was just because I could not for the life of me find any affordable PVC piping to make a proper frame.

Next time.

Anyway.

TO THE PARTY ZONE!






TO THE COFFEE ZONE!


RECHARGE THE TRAIN PASS!

THE END!

No comments:

Post a Comment