I shaved my head for charity last year. For a small number of donors I offered thanks in the form of a mystery gift, built around a theme of their choosing. This isn't the first one I've started, but it's the first one I've actually finished. I was inspired by Hari and Deepti 's light boxes and I'm just thrilled with how mine turned out. This theme was "cats" and I know this particular person likes fables and fairy tales, so I started with the illustration of the Jabberwock from Through the Looking Glass. Step by Step (including some trial and error) Hello pen tool, my old friend. Add some happy (stock vector) trees. Figure out some basics for layers. Add some detail. Start to think about how the environment might look. Also realize those layers are completely impractical and consolidate all of the Jabberwock into a single layer. Test cut several practice Jabberwocks (not by hand! I have a Cricut .) and struggle w...
Don't want to read? Here's a 2-minute video instead! The concept for my 2023 Halloween costume was the Starbucks siren, as seen in their logo (although taking some artistic license to wear clothing from the waist up and not doing gymnastics, so we're not going for 100% accuracy). Image from https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/starbucks-logo-evolution-tale-design-history-kaizen-tech-global My starting point was the leggings from my Amabie costume and a green bodice I got a million years ago (intending to make a Poison Ivy, although that has yet to happen). Phase 1: Bodice The first step was to add scales to the bodice to match the leggings as much as possible. I used my scan of the leggings from Amabie to make shapes to send to the Cricut to cut out of fabric. I wasn't convinced that sticky vinyl would stay put on the satin, so I ended up backing some polyster with fusable interfacing for durability and hand sewed it on. This was a beast of a project, but it was the best wa...
Okay, technically the glasses themselves do not change color, they have removable/reversible frame toppers that attach via magnets. But in practical terms, I was commissioned to make these so that a drag queen could surprise the audience with the color change, and it's a snappier title, so that's what I'm going with. I am delighted that I had the opportunity to make some custom glasses toppers for a drag performer, adding magnets and making frame toppers to give the illusion of the glasses changing color. Full process video: Prototype 1 First step: dremel some holes and glue in magnets This project was a first for me, so I did a fair amount of material testing to prototype before modifying the final glasses frames. If you're trying this at home, read the glue labels! Not every superglue out there will bind metal to plastic, but that glue does exist. For the toppers, some materials like paper and balsa wood didn’t work out well, but thin chipboard ...
Comments
Post a Comment