Pop-up Pen Pals: Artoo Nouveau Magic card

My friend and I are continuing to send each other homemade greeting cards that include paper mechanics.

This friend is also one of the people that donated to my fundraiser a handful of years ago and was on my list to receive a mystery gift. I asked for a theme, and he said he liked magic and Art Nouveau, so I came up with a design in an Art Nouveau style* incorporating props he has used in his magic shows and from when he was a Stormtrooper in the 501st Legion.

This is not that gift.

But since I had just completed the actual gift and it was my turn to send a card, I took the opportunity to make a companion piece.

*at least inspired by, I also love this style but am new to actually working in it



Process:

Sketch, work out the design and mechanic concept



Mechanic prototype on scrap paper



Put the design in the computer




Indicate size and placement of wheel, and cut lines


Add graphics that will appear on the moving parts


Separate into two parts, one for the base and one of the wheel to attach to the base


Try it out, find the flaws, fix them



Plan the sliders (magenta lines for cuts, cyan lines for scores)


Separate again into base and pieces to attach to base


Make it!

Fresh out of the Cricut


Rough placement


Add color

Insert mechanics


Secure wheel

What the back looks like


Slider 1

Wheel halfway


Wheel all the way

Slider 2


Make it a real card

Fancy up the front



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stencil and Hand Painted Sign

Waterfall Cards

Holiday Cards: Kokeshi