Steel Anniversary

Every wedding anniversary is associated with specific traditional items. You might have heard that first year is the paper anniversary, the 50th is the golden anniversary, stuff like that. A few years back we started taking photos of ourselves with those items.

This year is our steel anniversary. Given the dumpster fire that 2020 has turned out to be, we went for a post-apocalyptic warrior vibe. 

I got some patterns for shoulder, chest, and knee armor and made them out of foam and we decorated them with pieces of steel. There are a lot of ways to do post-apocalypse armor, but I feel like shoulder and chest armor really defines the look.

Husband's aesthetic was "rolled through a scrapyard" and he stuck wire mesh, nails, and screws on his.

My go-to for random things is the ¥100 store and most of the options for steel are kitchen implements, so I used three collapsible steamer trays, a couple of graters, and a bunch of spoons.




Process

Chest/shoulder armor for him

Shoulders for him


Chest armor for him

Strap connecting the pauldrons (later replaced with chain)


Taped together for placement

Decorated (silver spray paint, wire mesh, nails/screws, scrap tubing)


Chest/shoulder armor for her


Shoulders for her

Shoulders for her

I didn't want foam for my chest armor, just metal like a huge necklace. I traced the neckline of a tank top for a pattern and made a kind of bib out of faux leather to hold everything together.



D-rings on the shoulders to attach the pauldrons with velcro strips as seen in this tutorial



Two types of collapsible steamer trays were disassembled and rearranged:

I pinned the individual pieces to the dress form to see how it looked, and when it felt right, I wired the rows of metal together then sewed them here and there to the bib so they'd stay in place. I also ended up adding a belt right below the ribcage for a more secure fit.





I couldn't find anything big and cone-shaped made out of metal,
so I used paper clay and a 3D-printed mold to help keep them consistent in size and proportion

Spike locations marked; I don't know if I'd use paper clay for this again,
they ended up being very fragile, the tips broke and the spikes popped off repeatedly


Other pieces

Husband went relatively minimalist – shoulder/chest armor and a gas mask. I am much more inclined to decoration, so I also made bracers and knee guards and added a generous amount of studs and spikes.

Faux leather cut to fit my forearms


Eyelets are fun, and easy with the right tools


SPOONS!


Knee guards, elastic strap to keep them in place with velcro on one side

Knee guards with steamer tray petals and studs


Needed something shiny at my waist, so I added chains and graters



Add some extra large serving spoons I'm totally ready for the apocalypse

fear the spoon



BONUS: action sequence!





Comments

  1. I have Loved all your anniversary shots. (PaulS)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stencil and Hand Painted Sign

Waterfall Cards

Holiday Cards: Kokeshi