MYSTERY GIFT: Horror/Punk

I shaved my head for charity two years ago. For a small number of donors I offered thanks in the form of a mystery gift, built around a theme of their choosing. This person's theme was a Misfits album cover, essentially encompassing both music and horror across media platforms.

I started with words, and wrote the ABCs of Horror and Punk. But what do do with it?
Make it a book. Actually, let's make a pop up book, I've wanted to make one for years.



Many thanks to the Pop Up Channel for all the tutorials! Wonderfully helpful and easy to follow.

Process photos (and there are a lot of them) can be found in this Imgur gallery.

Finished spreads:













Once all the pages were done, I followed SeaLemon's YouTube tutorial for making a DIY book press so the glued pages would be flat. Then I followed her video about hardcover bookbinding, mixed a bit with this Sketch blog post about binding specifically for pop up books.

All the pages were glued together, including blank pages at the front and back to glue to the inside of the covers.

Press the pages

Cut book board, place on book cloth (I could have used some kind of paper or followed a different tutorial to make book cloth, but this was more time effective)


Glue the first blank page to the inside of the front cover

Glue the last blank page to the inside of the back cover

Press again for good measure

It's not perfect (extra fold of the orange paper on the inside front cover) and I'm not quite sure where my math was off, but it opens and closes like a book should, and that's what matters.


Plan: use the Cricut to cut out the title in vinyl and stick that sucker on the book
Wrinkle: the vinyl doesn't stick to the cover material
New plan: us the Cricut to cut out a vinyl stencil for the title


Experiment with pens/markers


Add title and write a note on the inside

Take video, file all sketches/stencils/measurements away in case I want to refer to them later, and send it off!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stencil and Hand Painted Sign

Waterfall Cards

Holiday Cards: Kokeshi